Non-Resident Maine Permit

The laws governing the legal use, storage and carrying of firearms are constantly changing. Below are the applicable laws in the State of Maine as of 4/17/2013. The below information is designed to be a guide and not the final word. If you have specific questions, please refer to the State of Maine legislation at Another great resource is the Maine State Police.

The State of Maine will issue a Non-Resident Concealed Handgun Permit.  Non-Residents must apply directly to the Maine State Police. All resident rules and regulations do apply.

NOTE: The below paragraph is from  The Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife for the State of Maine.  It can be found in the Maine Hunting and Trapping Laws and Rules booklet.

A permit is required to carry a concealed firearm in Maine, except that licensed hunters and trappers are exempt while engaged in these activities; the latter provision does not authorize the carrying of a concealed or loaded firearm in a motor vehicle. Some town offices or city halls issue these permits to residents. If not, contact Maine State Police. Nonresidents may obtain concealed weapons permits from the Maine State Police: (207) 624-7210.

If you have questions about our course, feel free to email us at  Make sure you include your name, the state whose permit you are pursuing, and if you need a call back, a phone number.  We're happy to help.